Review: The Charlotte Tilbury Colour Chameleon Pencils

Hi Pals!
Review first; Blog Later. Haha!


Sigh, Charlotte Tilbury. I watch her videos online constantly. I've copied her techniques, I've used her products. I've walked into the seductive lights in John Lewis that remind me of the sunset. I had a really lovely experience at the store, and I've had an awkward one.

This time, I ordered the pencils as a treat on sale, I managed to get them for around £14, a cool five pounds off the original price of £19.00.

And oohhhh, boy.

I can't even provide you with pictures of the products on. I'll tell you why - keep reading.

They arrived, and the pencils are light, airy and make me feel like I'm in for a treat. They have a glossy finish. It is easy to take the caps off.
I ordered the shades for green eyes - Amythest Aphrodisiac, and Bronzed Garnet.


If you look at the pictures, you'll see that the colours are selected on purpose to bring out the colour of your eyes. If you watch some of Charlotte Tilbury's videos on Youtube, you'll see that you are supposed to scribble over your eyelid and blend them out, so easy a child could do it. 


Swatches: Amethyst Aphrodisiac on top, Bronzed Garnet below 

 Well, I did that. I was interested in the idea that they were a quick and easy one step eye look that would make my eyes pop. They definitely did, in the way that colour theory works. I used bronzed garnet on my trip to the hair dressers - interestingly, she said that my skin looked different, like I was paler. I knew what she meant - my eyes were popping more and my shadow was all the way out there, so with my low key light coverage foundation, I definitely needed a more medium coverage and bronzed look to balance out the severeness of the eye look. So it was just me.

I tried out Amythest and got a similar reaction - of course it makes my eye colour pop. They are a creamy wet texture that dries down . They are very pigmented and have a soft, glittered effect - even when you wipe it away you are left with a fine glitter residue.

Are they worth it in my opinion? No, and I won't be buying them again. Here's why.


They are difficult to work with. Blending them was difficult, I needed to use a small pointed brush to blend them, and once blended out they turn .....muddy. 

Yes, muddy. So I had to apply more to show the colour, and to not look dirty.

With a bit of work, I managed to get it looking ok, but felt they would perform better with other products - like a complete shadow look. Which to me defied the point of buying them as a once step thing, much like the pictures led me to believe of the beautiful eyes of the models. (Refer to any website which sells them) .

Furthermore, I was told they would last all day - I found they lasted an hour. Was it my lids? I used primer. I was devastated.

And to top it off, I woke up the next morning with the biggest, most horrible collection of stys in my left eye in particular. One had become inflamed on the inside of my lower lid. I had to use a hot compress - I'll spare you the gruesome stuff, but I am legit afraid of touching them again. I should really have took a picture! Of course, it could have been caused by anything, I understand that. But that was very coincidental, and it could have been anything from the formula not agreeing with me, to me being accidentally sent a tester perhaps? Gals, it could have been anything.

They swatch beautifully on the hand, but they perform strangely on the eye. Anyway, you are on the HappyBeautyPalette so I am going to offer you some alternatives.. :)





Here we have the L'Oreal Paris Color Riche Mono Eyeshadow and the No7 eyeshadow (a dupe for something else I'll mention at the end). I'll go through them:






This is the L'Oreal Paris Color Riche Mono Eyeshadow in 301 Escape in Bordeux. It is a smokey shade, and seems to swatch EXACTLY
like Amethyst Aphrodisiac. The Swatch on top is Charlotte Tilbury, and on the bottom is L'Oreal. Yes, it's a powder, but what did powders ever do to you? ;) Its more purple, and the Charlotte Tilbury tends to show a more brown muddy stain. If you wanna play with the colour wheel and make it POP, go for L'Oreal.





 Here is L'Oreal in 500 Gold Mana, 'Lumeriere' and 204 Golden Nude, 'nude'.



These are not dupes, but I find they make my eyes pop better and more sophisticated than Bronzed Garnet. Can be used with other shadow and blend into a faded look that doesn't turn muddy. So any green eyed people - and I don't mean jealous people - go and invest in these three L'Oreal Shades! Would you like me to do a look with them?







So this is the perfect dupe for the Sparkling Champagne shade in the Colour Chameleon pencils. I didn't actually buy this shade, because I knew I had this and I use this with almost every eye shadow look. It's brilliant and I couldn't recommend enough -  as a highlighter, to use on the inner corners, or all over.
This is 206 Little Beige Dress (nude).



And just for an extra, I've been using this colour, No7's 'Mink' as a prime shade, in the same way Charlotte Tilbury does in her videos, with a lot of success. I plan to get another as well. They are creamy shadows and act as a beautiful enhancing base for most looks.








Anyway, I hope you liked my suggestions. I'm so annoyed! I thought I would love these, but we just didn't work out. 
Meanwhile, I have been gone for a fair bit haven't I? I've had to do Law School Exams, which are brutal enough, and I've dealt with some personal heartbreak too. I'm in an interesting place now though - I do feel stronger since; I handled myself as best I could. I understand that heartbreak is all about the personal journey, and each situation is so different there isn't one piece of advice that works. 

Anyway, I wasn't going to rush content - I took the break from everything I needed and I'm back!

Last thing: Would anyone want me to post a selfie? 

Take care of yourselves, 

Em.

Comments

Popular Posts